Sunday, May 11, 2008

Mother's Day

Today is Mother's Day and while that doesn't exact fit into the overall theme of this blog, I think it's worth talking about.  I come from a large family- I have five younger sisters (no brothers)-so birthdays and holidays are usually a big deal.  When it's a birthday or holiday that pertains to my parents, my sisters and I have stopped trying to do something nice.  Now we try to think of the most embarrassing/shameful/ridiculous experience possible.  

To give you some idea of what I'm talking about, here are some things we've done in the past: wearing old prom and bridemaids dresses to Thanksgiving dinner, wearing big stupid hats at a college graduation, bringing signs to restaurants, pretending to faint because we haven't started eating.  It's in this vein, that my sisters and I decided that the only way to celebrate Mother's day was to take our mother bowling.  Recognize that no one in my family bowls and going bowling is not anything that we would normally do.  But we liked that bowling was as close as you can get to doing nothing while still doing something.  We also liked that bowling was time controlled- 2 hours. 

After making this momentus decision, I had to tell my dad what our plans were.  I could tell that he was hoping for something nicer when he said "Bowling?  That's what you really want to do?".  I told him how fun it would be and why not.  Lucky for me, my father has given up on trying to make sense out of my decisions.  Since we were going for ridiculous, we decided to get the party pack and make a party out of it.  We brought cake, everyone wore shirts with funny sayings and I got my mom a bowling shirt.  And much to my surprise, we all had a very good time.  We had such a good time in fact, we're thinking of doing the same thing for father's day.  

The nice thing about my mom is that she just wanted to spend time with her daughters on mother's day.  All the while keeping hope alive that one of us will give her the gift she really wants on mother's day- a son-in-law. She doesn't like it when we call our dogs her "granddogs" or get drunk at family events but she still loves us anyway.  So I'd like to say happy mother's day mom!  Here's hoping that I can keep doing questionable things behind my mother's back. 

No comments: