Wednesday, January 21, 2009

New Day Dawning

Yesterday was the presidential inauguration of Barack Obama. I don't think so many people have watched the inauguration since they started airing it on TV. And I know that this was the largest crowd of people to go to the inauguration- 2 million plus. For a country that thinks of the political process as only slightly more tolerable than a root canal, this was amazing. Now unless you've been living under a rock, you've been hearing about the historic nature of this election non-stop. And given that my blog is mostly about booty calls and making out with strangers, using this space to talk about politics seems as out of place as Dame Edna being the keynote speaker at The Evangelical Ministers Assembly.

But I just wanted to say that I was happy to see so many Americans actually care about our political system. Our general apathy has allowed at lot of poor decisions to be made on our behalf. Being a person of color with low level hippie parents, I've always been interested in politics. Thankfully not in a way that is annoying. Although if you're leanings aren't more to the left, I'll be forced to tell you "You are wrong" repeatedly and it could be a deal breaker on our friendship. But if there is one thing that I'd like everyone to take away from yesterday it is President Obama's call to action ". . .Starting today, we must pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off, and begin again the work of remaking America."

Everyone, even this easy, breezy girl has some work to do. Let's get started.

No comments: