Saturday, July 19, 2008

Trying something new

Since I'm unemployed right now, I have time to try all kinds of projects that having a job would prevent.  And while looking for a job is one of those projects, let's be honest, it's summer time and working is not what I want to be doing.  Since I can't really fill my day with TV watching- I've tried it several times but then I feel like a loser for blowing the entire day in front of the TV-now seems like a good time as any to get on those crazy projects.

Currently on my list of projects: making wine, jam and mole.  My parents have two plum trees that are overflowing with fruit.  After a visit where they shoved plums on everyone who was there, I left with about 20 pounds of plums.  Armed with plums and loads of free time, I decided to make plum wine.  I've never made wine before but I figured, I can read and if my non-drinking father can make wine, so can I.  Right now I'm on day 10 of the wine experiment. I'm about 5 days away from bottling this pink colored concoction.  I tasted the wine when I changed it from the fermentation bucket to the fermenting bottle and it tastes like sweet grain alcohol!  In about 5 days, I'll be putting this mess in bottles.  I'll give you an update on how it tastes in about 2 months.  I think next week I'll start making potato wine.  It's only about 3 steps away from vodka.  I figure what the hell.  I have time to make the transition from wine to vodka.

I also made 8 cups of plum jam.  I haven't made jam since I was a teenager, so it was kind of like doing it for the first time.  I didn't buy enough jars and there was sticky jam all over the kitchen.  Now I'm trying to find anyone who's interested in jam to give them some.  The jam tastes pretty good- it's just a lot sweeter than I'd like it to be.  But it'll be the perfect backdrop for my homemade barbecue sauce which will be made later this week.  I think I'll be using some of that jam to cover my regular booty call- he already said he's open to it.  

All that's left on my short list of projects is to make the complex, Mexican sauce known as mole.  This is a dish that I've seen on numerous travel shows and cooking shows but know that it's so involved that my Mexican grandmother won't make it.  I've got a good recipe that calls for 20 ingredients, all of which need to be roasted, ground down and mixed together.  This will take all day.  But I've got nothing but free time, so why not.  

I'll keep you posted on my culinary experiments.  I know you thought all I did was have ridiculous experiences with boys.  But even the Wildhairgirl likes to kick it up a notch in the kitchen.

 

No comments: